Is grey the new black?
Probably not but it should be here’s why…
- works for more personal colorings than black
- is kinder to complexions when you are over 50
- is more versatile than most other neutrals and lends versatility and timelessness to a wardrobe
- is a color that easily transfers from the office to casual outings
- pairs perfectly with all colors
- can be worn all year round
Not all greys are equal.
There are many greys in various temperatures, discovering your best grey is a great place to start.
There’s a Grey for Every Coloring
- Stick to one temperature of grey. Mixing different temperatures of grey can be tricky.
- Wear darker greys around the problem areas in our body and lighter colors around the areas you want to highlight.
- Choose fabrics and silhouettes that reflect the current season.
- Lighter shades are perceived as more casual than dark shades. To raise your authority wear medium to dark greys
- Greys in fine, smooth fabrics are dressier than those that are textured. Use this to tip to increase the formality of light grey. Structured shapes will also add to the formality/authority.
- Grey marle has its origin in sport, making it the most casual version of grey and best left for non-business/casual occasions.
All grey outfits have the potential to look boring, to prevent this coordinate grey outfits garments in different depths of grey. This will unify your look and showcase your color knowhow. Max out at three depths, one light, one medium, and one dark.
Add texture or textural elements to create visual interest e.g, tweed, mohair, pleating, draping, print, fur, etc.
Mixed Color Outfits
Mix with other neutrals
This creates a minimalist and modern aesthetic. Black, camel and white all play very well with gray and give you a hundred chic points for looking sleek and effortless. Overlaying a black garment with a grey item can soft black’s sometimes harsh effect.
Pop a Color
From a subtle peek of bright color, to an elegant matching pink lip and heels combo, or even a shocking red maxi skirt, grey is the perfect color to serve as a canvas for a splash of strong color.
Pastels always turn heads when juxtaposed with tones of grey. The mix is elegant and feminine but don’t limit yourself to wearing it in the spring, these light colors are just as appropriate in fall/winter too.
Turn Down the Volume
Greys are great for toning down a loud all-over print, impactful graphic or bold colored outfit.
So now that you know a little more about how to wear grey to look amazing will you be giving it ago?
I’d love to see you wearing grey outfits – why not post your photos on our Facebook page. Add #MeInGrey